July 5, 2011

Soul Food/Miles















Every now and then I need to go out for a long, multiple hour solo ride-something that lets me escape. I got the chance last Saturday when I drove 60 miles to Crystal Mountain, a nice ski area not too far from Mount Rainier. There is a ton of climbing on this out and back course that is about 50 miles. I park at the top of Crystal, ride the 6 miles down, then climb for about 21 to the last parking lot on Mt. Rainier at Sunrise.



The weather was gorgeous-clear and warm. The parking lot was packed with late season skiers and it felt odd to walk to the bathroom amongst all the ski poles and ski boots. I had never ridden this route so early in the year and I had never seen the parking lot so crowded.



I brought two bikes, thinking I might try the single speed on the Crystal Mtn climb after the ride. The state hillclimb champs are on the Crystal Mtn course in August.



I was sad to discover my race number had been blown off my Merlin that had been on my roof rack. Thankfully I have old frame numbers at home with lots of sticky numbers so could make another one for free.



The descent off Crystal was a bit hairy as a crazy driver passed several uphill vehicles right after I started down. It is a narrow two lane road full of potholes and ruts and this guy was doing about 50 uphill right in my lane. I had to go to the far edge to avoid a headon. Not the way i wanted to start but grateful I wasn't hit. I then had a nice gentle climb up to the park entrance, and then wait a few minutes to pay my $5 park entry fee. I later discovered I somehow lost another $5 bill around this area. Hopefully someone found it.... The next 15 miles or so were a constant climb. I passed a few riders and one rider got me along with several vehicles who gave me lots of room. Everyone was in good spirits which made the ride that much more enjoyable.



Snow began about 7 miles into the climb and I was soon surrounded by the white stuff-just so beautiful and just what I needed. I did have a sweat issue with my right eye which allowed me to stop half way up to take a nice pic of Mt Rainier. I got going again and felt a lot better-no isses for the rest of the climb. I was in a harder gear than ever on it thanks to all my single speed training. I do a weekly climb (about a mile long) on my single which I dubbed "peeling the onion" (sheds my outer skin to reveal my core:)).


I came across the coolest sight about 3 miles later-a black bear crossing the road. I waited for almost a minute along with some descending riders and a car behind me for the bear to make up its mind.... I was able to get 3 very cool pics. I got quite close as the bear climbed back up the way it came. I was so stoked, the next few miles blew by as I road to Sunrise Point at 6100 feet, a beautiful turnout and viewing spot. I hung out there for a few minutes, talking to some Harley riders and taking pictures.


The last 3 miles to the actual terminus of the road are quite nice as the climb is very easy after the lookout and you have an incredible view of Mt. Rainier the entire way to the parking lot. I took a shot of Mt Rainier from my bike and then heard a familiar voice call out my name! What a small world-a friend was descending, someone I had not seen in weeks. I got her just on the edge of the picture which is pretty cool with the backdrop. I hung out at the parking lot for a few minutes shooting the last of my disposable camera.


I then flew down the mountain back to Crystal Mountain. The last 6 miles were a real challenge as I was suffering from the heat. The climb is pretty steep and was totally exposed to the sun. I usually enjoy the climb but have had issues on it before due to heat. I also was at the end of my longest ride in a couple of years. I did have to stop with a mile to go but recovered enough to finish. My time was so slow.


Overall i quite enjoyed the ride and this was a much needed dose of soul food/miles.


I hope everyone had a good Fourth!











No comments: