June 6, 2009

An Addicted Roadie Samples the Velodrome

Well I finally did it. I have been a roadie for 29 years. I love being able to shift, free wheel and to put my handspursuit or kilo on the track, but to do si anywhere on the bars I feel like (or off the bars if I wish). I have watched track racing in California and here in Washington. I even assisted with the 1983 pre-Olympic track events at the then new venue in Dominquez Hills, California. Well, after shelling out $50 I was able to attend a 4 hour training class today at the Marymorr Park Velodrome in Redmond, WA. After a week of record heat we had cool and lustery conditions with "some" sprinkles. Not enough to cancel the class but close. We had a few delays throughout the session to see what the clouds would do. I have wanted to ride the pursuit or kilo on the track, but to do so I have to be at least a Cat4. To do that I had to attend the class and two Thursday night race sessions. I at least have the class under my belt.
There were two instructors and 30 students, including a judge I used to work with. What a small world! We practiced mounting/dismounting, riding in a pace line, following the leader, riding two abreast and pulling off, riding two breats and touching each other on the hip, riding two abreast and leaning into each other, and mass starts. I did fall during the mass start practice when the rail (actually the entrance gate to the infield) I was pushing off gave way (it was not locked. The loaner bike was fine but my butt and elbow got banged up some. No biggie. We finished the day with a 400 meter tt. Iloved it.
I recommend that you all try the track, even if just for 4 hrs:)
Ty

1 comment:

Andreas Vogel said...

Looks like you are ready for the American Velodrome Challenge June 26/27 at Hellyer Velodrome in San Jose, CA.
for details, see www.ridethetrack.com/avc