June 28, 2009

Kits, Cigs and perfect scores

I was so happy to receive my latest Velo News mag and see that 53x11 coffee took a perfect 10 in the taste test. I have given bags to friends and they all rave about it. Now every cyclist everywhere knows we represent a quality product:)
And it was so nice to see the new kit design. I myself prefer the black alter-ego and will ride that as much as possible; but the all red will catch an eye or two now and then. I did buy a kit and have told all my training buddies to look out for me. They say the beans on the alter ego look like hamburgers and that the beans on the original kits look like stitch marks/scars. I don't care as the black/red/white really looks good. The all red looks very similar to a very good team in this area (Carter VW). And that is a good thing.
Now for a race report. I raced the Pacific Series last Tuesday and we rode my favorite course for the one and only time this year-up the S turns, about a 200 meter severe stretch that is a beautiful S turn, part of an overall 2 mile route with some downhill rollers before the climb. You can hit it at speed and then muscle up the last 1/2. It is very unpopular so the race director has made it a one time deal. Too bad!!! I attacked on the first lap as is my usual practice, went solo and got caught on the S turn, then attacked again on the second lap, taking a much younger rider with me. We got caught around the same spot. I then played around in the pack and socialized with a few guys near the rear. I did help some friends pull a few times and finished about 15th out of the 30. About 45 or 50 started but many were "newbies" so they got dropped early. One such newbie had clip on tri bars and smoked before and after the race. We were rather dumbfounded but to each his own. And some great riders have smoked. Definitely not in my training regime though. And yes I had a laugh or two during the hour of racing.
One last thing-a shout out to our new rider Jeffer from Colorado. Glad to have you aboard!
Ty (Saddledancer)

No comments: