June 28, 2009

Spring bicycle racing in Colorado!


Hello everyone, I’m Jeff and a newbie to Team 53x11 Coffee for 2009. After several years out of the sport I’ve decided to re-license, aka start over as a Cat 4/5 Roadie, with my interest in racing Cyclocross in the fall/winter.

This weekend (June 7th) I decided to test by training by doing the Denver City Park Criterium at the Denver Zoo and Natural History Museum Park. It was shown as a large flat course (2 mi loop) with some nice tight corners (2 at 35degrees), a few Traffic Circles, and three long straights. (per below map, it went count-clockwise)

Team 53x11 Coffee - Denver branch (me, Dog Jack, and wife Erin) got to the course about 11 am. I got myself checked in for the 2 pm SM 35+/4s.Then we went to walk the course and watch the other groups go around. We set up near the Start/Finish line with my Cyclops and Cheering Section. The SM Cat 2/3s started their 75 minute race while we watched the clouds start to darken and build. About half way through their race the rain started plus the wind and then the pea sized HAIL (welcome to spring time in Colorado)! So on they raced with Team 5280 (Garmin-Slipstream Development Team) kicking some tail and a few crashes reported across the course. Before the final corner and finish sprint the Moto-Marshall neutralized the race to the dismay of many of the SM 2/3s; it wasn’t too clear who they awarded the race to. (Remind me to thank the Weather Guy for the light 30% chance of showers!)

And now the staging for my SM 35+/4s - along with the Marshall telling us to take a neutral lap to preview the course; and the result of the rain. I get a spot in the second row on the right side which was perfect for the first left corner on the course. Off we go and I hit the guy in front of me who is having pedal trouble which causes me to pop out of mine – RATS! When I finally get clipped in I have gone from front row to sprinting to catch the 300 meters I lost. Catching up to the pack I am sitting somewhere about one-half to three-quarters in the field. As we are making our laps I hear a rider from Green Mountain Sports say “Do you think they’ll let us all do a pit stop to put on fenders… ha ha?” Another laughs back, “Just turn on your wipers!” Meanwhile water and grit is flying off everyone’s wheels at 29+ mph… “Damn - I forgot how fast Crits can wind out” I say to myself. After getting caught on the wrong side of a few puddles I lost contact with main field at about lap 4, got lapped on the 6th; but continue to hammer along. At lap 7 myself and about six riders behind me get waived off by the Marshall as we come across the Start/Finish.

So I finished somewhere around 40th out of 50 starters with 36 recorded unlaped finishers. All in all I feel good despite the rain-hail-cold-mud and for guy who hasn’t raced for 10 yrs. But I’m going to modify my training plan to add in some sprint intervals.

2 comments:

Saddledancer said...

Welcome to the team Jeff! Your race sounds epic! I myself avoid most crits for the most part but do do some lake the Blackerberry around Memorial Day in Bremerton, WA (one nice Masters group with some 1/2s mixing it with us 4s).
I look forward to more of your reports. I hope those intervals go well:)
Thank you too for the comment on my entry about having fun. If I can't laugh I won't do it.
Ty

Jeff@5280Denver said...

Thanks for the welcome Ty! I use to like the fast <1 mile Crits when I was younger and had more training time. A longer Crit like the one I rode is nice since it't not so technical.

It CO it is similar with the SM45+ that you have guys that rode 1/2/3s and are returning. Which gets the speed up and riding at the front interesting.

Keep it jamming!
Jeff