June 30, 2009

First Memphis Race




In 2009 myself, along with two friends (Jason and John Hurdle) decided to work ourselves into a group ride to improve our fitness, biking and group riding. After a few months, we joined up with 53x11 Coffee to further validate our place in the Memphis bike community. Immediately, with the incredible 53x11 kits, we were accepted as part of the group . . . something that had been missing even though we were there every Tuesday and Thursday at 5:45 a.m. trying to hold on with the group (usually 50+ riders). We have all progressed as the year has passed and recently took part in our first race. It was the Smith and Nephew / Marx and Bensdorf Grand Prix. As a Cat5, we had a 32 mile road race (rolling hills), 4 mile TT and 30 minute Crit. Since fitness has been my main driving force, my goals were modest – finish all the events and finish somewhere ahead of last place. Trying to punish the Cat 5s, the road race started at 11:15 and with our luck, a heat index of 111 degrees. It was tough but John and I were able to hang on with the lead pack until mile 6-7 and Jason hung in through mile 14. We all accomplished the “better than last” place and finished the race in the searing heat. The time trial was short but being worn out from the morning, my time was not what I would have envisioned. Finally, the last event on Sunday was the Criterium, 30-minutes of a 1-mile loop. Seeing that I have never watched a Crit, much less competed in one, I was amazed at the speed of the Cat 3s and 4s the race before us. However, my amazement quickly turned to cautiousness when their race saw three wrecks, along with the three ambulance visits. Our race was exciting and all three of us competed as hard as we could (from pic above, I was in the black kit in the middle of the pack at the end of lap 2 and Jason was just in front of me with the white kit - but hidden behind another rider) and learned what we need to do if we want to compete as opposed to participate. From the race, I learned that I need to build a much better base before I start worrying about the speed the speed. We appreciate the support of Evan and 53x11 Coffee and have had many compliments on the kits. I cannot wait for the reds to show up at my front door!

2 comments:

Jeff@5280Denver said...

You and your buds are doing the right thing in finding a group ride and continue to ride strong with them every chance you get starting as a Cat5. If you mind some advice from a "schooled Cat5" ..

That type of riding/training gives you the faster pace incentives and some pack skills riding.

Browse the web if you haven't already done so to get some articles and video lessons (e.g. VeloNews, PezCycling News, BikeRadar.com).

Don't forget about your nutrition and hydration - talk to the guys at Hammer Nutrition on using drinks (Heed) and gels (HammerGel) and etc in your training and race prep.

I don't know how experienced you are in scheduling your training but there are some good sources out there. Starting from last year I picked up Simon Burney's on Cyclocross: Training and Technique. Look at his section on training and training plans and adapt it for road or MTB.

Jeff

trowland said...

Thanks Jeff, we have had a blast. Between the kids, coaching, golf, hunting, scouts, job, etc, I definately need help in scheduling my training so I will look up Simon's book. Luckily, we have a freind who is an experienced rider who is teaching us some of the things you mentioned - training, nutrition (although I took up riding so I could keep eating cheesubrgers and drinking beer) and other things about biking that are hard to learn by yourself. Thank your for your comment. TR